National Federation of Press Women
The National Federation of Press Women Sponsors Affordable, State-of-the-art Media Liability Insurance
Media liability insurance coverage is critical to members of the press. Anyone who is in the business of gathering and communicating information, regardless of the type of information or the medium of communication involved, incurs potentially significant liability exposures, particularly in this age of heightened media scrutiny.
Unfortunately, in the past, this coverage has been available only to large media entities such as publishing and broadcasting companies. Freelancers and other individual communicators and media professionals have been left to hope they are covered by the publications to which they contribute which frequently is not the case or else pay large premiums to purchase stand-alone media liability policies.
No longer. Chubb Specialty Insurance, a specialist in media liability coverage, has developed a media liability insurance program exclusively for the National Federation of Press Women (NFPW). The program is affordably priced and is administered by Walterry Insurance Brokers, a brokerage firm that has been providing media liability coverage for over 20 years.
What Coverage Will I Get Through This Program
For only $495 per year (including tax), NFPW members can obtain state-of-the-art media liability coverage with the following features:
- A dedicated policy limit of $300,000 per claim and $500,000 aggregate, which includes coverage for defense costs as well as settlements and judgments. Policy includes a $5,000 retention applicable to all claims.
- Comprehensive coverage for all claims arising out of the gathering and communicating of information, including (but not limited to) libel, slander, invasion of privacy, and copyright infringement. This is significantly broader coverage than other media liability policies on the market.
- Coverage for the legal costs incurred in challenging subpoenas seeking confidential newsgathering information. This additional coverage will give you the financial wherewithal to resist intrusions into the confidentiality of the newsgathering process.
- Punitive damages coverage to the extent permitted by law.
- Confidential sources are fully protected. The policy allows you to protect the identity of confidential sources, even if this compromises the ability to defend a claim.
- Worldwide coverage. The policy provides coverage for press activities engaged in by you, and claims asserted against you, anywhere in the world.
How Do I Sign Up?
If you meet the following criteria, you are automatically eligible to participate in this program:
- You are a member in good standing of the NFPW and have paid current NFPW dues.
- Your revenues from professional press activities last year did not exceed $200,000 (before taxes).
- You have not been named as a defendant in a lawsuit arising out of your professional press activities within the preceding three years.
- You have been a professional working in the press or a related industry for a minimum of three years.
Publishers of books, magazines, newspapers, or websites ARE NOT ELIGIBLE
If you meet these eligibility criteria, all you need to do to obtain coverage is:
- Complete the attached eligibility statement for the NFPW Media Insurance program.
- Send the eligibility statement, along with premium payment of $495 ($247.50 if between December 12 to June 11th), to Walterry Insurance Brokers.
Your coverage will become effective immediately upon Walterry’s receipt of these materials. You will receive confirmation from Walterry that the materials have been received and that you are covered under this Program.
If you do not meet these criteria, you may still apply for coverage in this program, but your application will be individually underwritten, and a different premium may apply. You will be contacted by a program administrator upon receipt and review of your eligibility statement.
PLEASE NOTE the following important additional points about this program:
- This coverage is provided on a claims-made basis . Coverage applies only to claims that are first asserted after your coverage becomes effective and before the end of the policy period (June 12). The claim must also arise out of activities engaged in by you after your coverage becomes effective.
- This coverage is on a duty-to-defend basis. In the event of a claim, the insurance company has the right and the duty to select the counsel that will defend you. Because the insurance company offering this program is a specialist in media insurance, it has a ready network of experienced media attorneys.
- This coverage applies only to claims against you . It does not extend to claims against third parties. Therefore, in the event that a third party, such as a publisher or broadcaster, is sued as a result of material submitted by you, this insurance will not extend to defense costs incurred by the third party, or judgments entered against the third party, even if you have agreed to provide indemnification.
If you would like additional information about this program before making your decision, please contact Walterry Insurance Brokers at 800-638-8791.
This is a general overview. Please refer to the Newsmedia Liability Insurance Policy, including Endorsements, for specific terms and conditions, and contact Walterry Insurance Brokers with any and all questions. Coverage is being offered on a surplus lines basis.