The National Newspaper Association’s AXIS Media/Professional Insurance Policy
Offered by Walterry Insurance Brokers
Endorsed by the National Newspaper Association and Over 25 State Press Associations
Leadership. Protection. Endurance.
Delivering Security in a World of Risk
To endure and succeed in today’s increasingly global business, publishers must continually keep pace with evolving technology, marketplace demands, competitors, and a changing legal landscape. Complicating the picture further is an expanding litany of media liability exposures – ranging from defamation, invasion of privacy, and emotional distress to copyright infringement, trademark infringement, misappropriation, and advertising errors and omissions – any of which can result in a calamitous lawsuit…from any number of sources. Consider the financial impact on your organization if:
- A person sued you for defamation, contending that a news article improperly linked him to terrorism.
- A company sued you for trademark infringement because the title of a book was confusingly similar to the name of its corporate magazine.
- A veteran’s estate sued you for invasion of privacy because a magazine published
photographs of the veteran’s open casket.
- One of your news reporters was served with a subpoena for confidential source information in connection with a significant public scandal.
Even if no one in your organization did anything wrong, defense and settlement costs can escalate to hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars.
The Walterry Insurance Brokers and National Newspaper Association (NNA) partnership. For over 40 years we have been insuring publishers with content exposures and we’ve seen them sued time and time again. We understand that in today’s constantly shifting legal landscape, the precise nature of media liability lawsuits can be difficult to predict. Unfortunately, one thing that can be predicted is the financial and reputational havoc such lawsuits can cause. In response, we created a broad, flexible errors and omissions (E&O) liability insurance policy that specifically addresses the nature of these risks
AXIS Media/Professional Insurance Policy Highlights:
- Our “occurrence form” covers activities that occur during the policy period (regardless of when claim is first made).
- “All risk” coverage goes beyond specified “named perils” to include risks arising out of core functions of publishing: gathering and creating information and communicating it to the public.
- Our policy covers subpoena defense costs for news media organizations, including legal fees and expenses to “quash or modify,” or “oppose a motion to enforce,” a covered subpoena.
- Built-in coverage for advertising content.
- Negligent publication coverage for any claim alleging harm to a person or entity that acted or failed to act in reliance upon the information published.
- Our customer fully controls whether to settle or retract content and can choose between reimbursement of defense costs or duty to defend.
- No “insured versus insured” exclusion with respect to internal copyright disputes.
- Broad breach-of-contract carve backs for, among other things, alleged failure to attribute authorship or credit under any agreement to which the insured is a party and alleged misappropriation of ideas under implied contract.
- Punitive damages coverage, where insurable by law.
- Minimum of 90 days coverage for acquisitions and creations (organizations, covered media) with potential for automatic coverage until the end of the policy period (depending upon actual or projected revenues).
- Internet Liability clause with automatic coverage for newly created Web sites after the policy incepts.
- Protection for confidential sources and broad application severability.
Today’s media companies need protection that goes beyond traditional libel insurance. Walterry Insurance Brokers (Walterry) has teamed with AXIS Insurance Company (AXIS) to provide media liability insurance, a one-stop solution for the insurance needs of:
- TV Broadcast Stations
- Radio Broadcast Stations
- Newspaper Publishers
- Film/Video Producers
Walterry has more than 45 years of experience insuring the media and AxIS Is a provider of media liability insurance with their media/professional insurance portfolio of policies. They offer coverage to a variety of media businesses including publishers, broadcasters, film producers, distributors and libraries, advertising agencies and public relations firms, public appearances, and multimedia companies.
AXIS offers extensive underwriting and claims expertise, including staff attorneys specializing in First Amendment, privacy, publicity, intellectual property, errors and omissions (E&0), and cyber/data security and privacy.
Walterry has been endorsed by the National Newspaper Association and 28 State or Regional Press Associations.
This product information is for descriptive purposes on and does not provide a complete summary of coverage. Issuance of coverage is subject to underwriting. Consult the applicable insurance policy for specific terms, conditions, limits, limitations and exclusions. Claim examples are provided for illustrative purposes only. Not all coverages or options stated above may apply to each policyholder, and coverage may not be available in all jurisdictions. Underwritten by AXS Insurance Company (NAIC # 37273). an Illinois property and casualty insurer. licensed in all 50 states of the United States and the District of Columbia, with offices at 111 South Wacker Drive Suite 3500 Chicago, IL 60606.